bloating is a very uncomfortable and embarrassing condition. Nearly one in 10 Americans suffer from abdominal bloating regularly. Swelling is caused when excess gas is trapped in the small intestine. This makes bloated stomach visible.
excess gas accumulation can be caused by many factors that include constipation, water retention, the trapped air, overeating, indigestion, smoking and others. Swelling is usually accompanied by other problems such as diarrhea, back pain, belching, gas and stomach cramps.
The best way to get relief from the bloating is to switch off the excess gas or a bowel movement. Some home remedies like ginger, cumin, peppermint, chamomile and other ingredients mentioned below will help you with the same.
Home remedies for swelling
- 1 Home remedies for swelling
- 1.1 1. Ginger
- 1.2 2. cumin seeds
- 1.3 3. fennel
- 1.4 4. Peppermint
- 1.5 5. chamomile
- 1.6 6. vinegar
- 1.7 7. aniseed
- 1.8 8. hot lemon water
- 1.9 9. pumpkin
- 1.10 10. activated carbon
- 1.11 11. dandelion
- 1.12 12. coriander
- 1.13 13. cinnamon
- 1.14 14. Baking soda and lemon juice
- 1.15 15. Garlic
- 1.16 16. buttermilk
- 1.17 17. asafoetida
- 1.18 18. bay leaves
- 1.19 19. sale nero
- 1.20 20. oil of clove
- 1.21 21. Mint Tea
- 1.22 22. essential oil of bergamot
- 1.23 23. Triphala
- 1.24 24. Curcuma
- 1.25 25. smoothie to treat swelling
- 1.26 26. Herbal Tea
- 1.27 27. betel leaf
- 1.28 28. dill seeds
- 1.29 29. massage
- 1.30 30. Diet Plan
- 1.31 Foods to avoid:
- 2 Tips to Prevent Gas and bloating:
Choose any one remedy and try as indicated for the relief from swelling.
Ginger is a carminative, which means that relieves the pressure of the swelling, helping the gases pass through the digestive system. It contains gingerols and shogaols, act as painkillers that calm and relax the intestinal muscles. It limits the production of bad bacteria in the colon.
- Peel and cut a piece of fresh ginger root.
- In a cup, mix the slices with honey and lemon juice.
- Pour a little ‘hot water. Cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Consuming ginger tea 3 times a day for effective results.
- Peel and grate a piece of fresh ginger root.
- Eat 1 teaspoon any time that you need for immediate relief from swelling.
- Use it in your kitchen every day.
Or: You can add 5-6 drops of essential oil of ginger in 3-4 tablespoons of carrier oil. Massage this mixture on the stomach.
2. cumin seeds
Cumin seeds have a carminative properties, which helps prevent the accumulation of gases helping rapid expulsion. The carvol and carvene present in the cumin seeds helps in soothing the digestive tissues and favor the expulsion of gas. This provides immediate relief from swelling problem.
- Chewing a pinch of several times a day cumin seeds to relieve swelling.
- If you do not like the seeds, try cumin seeds crackers.
- Crush the 2 teaspoons cumin seeds and add them to a cup.
- Add hot water and let steep 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea before meals to get effective results.
- For added benefit, you can chew cumin seeds struggled despite having food.
- Alternatively, you can also use the seeds of blacks for swelling cumin.
Fennel seeds are very effective for digestive problems such as bloating. It contains carminative, diuretic, analgesic and anti-microbial. fennel seeds help to relieve swelling by relaxing muscle spasms in the digestive tract. Fennel contains volatile oils that prevent gas and act as an anti-spasmodic, helping gas trapped easily pass through the system.
- Crush a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Add to a cup of hot water and let steep 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea for 2-3 times in a day.
- You can get relief within 5-10 minutes.
- Note: You can also simply chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Alternatively, you can massage some fennel oil on the abdomen to relieve pain caused by swelling.
Note: Pregnant women should consult their doctor before trying the fennel seeds method. Although the fennel seeds are considered safe, tea made following the above procedure can cause pre-term labor if consumed during pregnancy
The oil of methanol present in peppermint an antispasmodic effect on the digestive tract muscles which helps in the passage of air and food. It also helps absorb iron from food. Chewing a few leaves of fresh mint to get relief from swelling. Otherwise you can follow the steps below.
- Put a teaspoon of peppermint tea in a cup of hot water.
- Cover and let steep for10 – 15 minutes.
- Pull out the tea bag and squeeze out every bit of healing solution.
- Drink your tea slowly and relax.
- Repeat the process 1 – 2 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can add handful of fresh mint leaves instead of a tea bag.
- Or add 2 drops of oil of peppermint in a cup of cold water and drink.
Chamomile relaxes the digestive system, and contains anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties that relieve gas and bloating as well as heartburn, menstrual cramps and joint pain.
- Add the sachet of chamomile tea in a cup of hot water.
- Cover and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze the bag to get out all the goodness out of it.
- Add honey and lemon according to your taste.
- Consuming chamomile tea and relax.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a day between meals.
- Alternatively, you can use chamomile flowers instead of chamomile tea bag.
Note: Do not add milk while preparing tea, how can ignite the gas.
Apple cider vinegar is a great cleaner, eliminator and the best food for the treatment of indigestion. It can give you an almost immediate relief from gas and indigestion.
- For a glass of warm water (filtered), add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (unfiltered which still contains the mother in it).
- Drink this mixture slowly.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 times a day on an empty stomach.
- If you can not stand the taste of apple cider vinegar, you can take acv tablets or capsules.
- Apple cider vinegar is completely safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The anti-spasmodic properties of anise seeds are helpful in soothing the digestive tract. Carminative properties it helps to push out the accumulation of gases and reduce swelling. anise tea is the best method to get all the benefits of this herb.
There are various ways of aniseed intake to treat swelling
- Chew a teaspoon of aniseed.
- Add the anise seeds in your daily cooking.
- Combine the anise seed and celery seed in a ratio of 1: 2. Add a little ‘sugar for taste. Take 1/2 teaspoon of this mixture regularly.
- Add 1 teaspoon of anise seeds in a cup of boiling water. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Strain and drink the anise tea before or after a meal. It provides quick relief from gas.
- According to the US Food & Drug Administration, infants should not be given anise tea as it can lead to vomiting, convulsions, rapid eye movements and restlessness.
- Pregnant women should avoid taking anise.
- Some people are allergic to anise seed, so it is best to consult a doctor before taking in any form.
8. hot lemon water
Lemon is rich in vitamin B and C, riboflavin, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein that help in digestion. The acidic nature of lemon stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid, which helps the body to break down the food more efficiently. The mixture detoxifies the body, like the liver enzymes work effectively because of lemon.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to a cup of hot water.
- Mix well and drink this in the morning on an empty stomach.
- regularly drink to get rid of bloating.
Spicy foods and foods high in fiber and fat take longer to digest. When food does not break down in the small intestine enters the large intestine where the natural bacteria in the large intestine break them down. During this process, the gas is produced which leads to swelling. Vitamin A in pumpkin prevents all that by promoting proper digestion.
- Take a cup of pumpkin and eat regularly cooking or streamed or broiling or find a recipe you like pumpkin and eat regularly.
10. activated carbon
The activated carbon is oxidized with air or steam to make it porous which states that air and water can pass through it. Spaces in it can trap the excess gas formed by bacteria in the gut.
- You can take the active carbon in the form of tablets, capsules or powder. It should be taken before meals to avoid bloating and gas problems.
- For exact dosage according to your medical history, seek medical advice from a doctor.
- Pregnant women and people taking contraceptives or other drugs should avoid the consumption of activated carbon.
- This process should not be followed for a longer period of time.
of dandelion tea is a natural laxative and diuretic which helps to regulate the digestive system and relieve gas and bloating.
- For a cup of boiling water, add 1 teaspoon of dried dandelion leaves.
- Cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes.
- Add lemon and honey according to taste.
- Repeat regularly to prevent or treat swelling.
Coriander helps in treating indigestion, settling the stomach and the gas burning sensation.
- Add some roasted coriander seeds in a cup of butter milk and drink it.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of dried coriander leaves to a cup of boiling water. Cover and let stand for a few minutes. Strain and drink this tea to get relief from gas rapidly. If you have excess gas problem, then increase the amount of 1 glass instead of a cup.
Cinnamon helps prevent gas in the stomach and pain. It helps provide immediate relief from gas. The following process not only helps provide relief from flatulence, but also prevents its recurrence.
- Heat a cup of soy milk or whey and remove from heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and honey in it.
- Leave aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the mixture and drink slowly.
Note: Pregnant women should not consume more than 1/2 teaspoon per day. Women breast-feeding may require one or more teaspoons of cinnamon powder.
- For a cup of milk, add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Mix well and drink. You can add honey to taste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 2 cups of hot water. Let stand for a few minutes. Strain and drink.
14. Baking soda and lemon juice
The combination of lemon juice and baking soda form carbon dioxide which is known for aiding natural digestion. This provides relief from gas and bloating completely in 20 minutes.
- Half fill a glass with filtered water.
- Add 20ml of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of baking soda in it.
- After the fizz is down, you can fill the remaining empty glass with water.
- Mix well and drink.
- For more effective results, you can add apple cider vinegar in it to decrease the digestion and gas problems. of apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of the body and improves overall health.
Note: To relieve gas in the stomach, add some baking soda in a glass of water and drink every day before breakfast.
Garlic excites gastric flames which facilitates the gas in the stomach. Drink soup of garlic to fight assimilation and decrease the gas. It is preferable to use fresh garlic for effective results.
- Add garlic in a cup of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add black pepper and caraway seeds in it.
- Simmer for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Drain and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Consuming it for a few times in a day.
Note: Drink this soup every day to avoid bloating and gas problems.
The combination of buttermilk, sea salt and carom seeds provides relief from gas and bloating. Here is the process of making this herbal solution.
- Mix a tablespoon of sea salt and carom seeds.
- Add this mixture to a glass of buttermilk.
- Drink daily 2 times this solution to get quick relief.
Note: If you have not carom seeds, use celery seed.
The asafetida is an effective remedy for gas in the stomach and indigestion. With this process, you can see the results very quickly.
- Asafoetida mix with a little ‘water to make a paste.
- Spread it on the stomach and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
18. bay leaves
The antioxidant, antiseptic and digestive qualities of bay leaves are useful in the treatment of flatulence and bloating. It is also known to have anti-cancer properties.
- Add a bay leaf to a cup of water and boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand until it cools a bit ‘down.
- Strain and drink in a go.
- Stand up and let the gas expelled. Do not lie down for an hour after drinking the bay leaf as a tea.
19. sale nero
black salt provides relief from the heaviness caused due to swelling. It can be eaten to treat swelling after eating. It helps in proper digestion.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of black tea salt, asafetida, dry ginger and cardamom powder. Consuming half a teaspoon of this mixture to relieve swelling.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of lemon and black salt in a glass of water of juice tea. Drink this mixture 2-3 times a day to get relief from swelling.
20. oil of clove
In case of bloating and nausea and use of clove oil. It contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that soothe the digestive tract.
- Add a few drops of oil of cloves in a cup of water. Drink this mixture every day to get relief from swelling.
- Add a few cloves in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Strain and drink every day.
Note: If you do not have clove oil, eucalyptus oil used instead of it.
21. Mint Tea
Mint tea is useful in the treatment of bloating and indigestion. The soothing and cooling properties helps in the treatment of gas.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried mint leaves and 4-5 leaves in a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Let it cool. Strain and drink.
- Consume 2-3 cups of mint tea a day.
- You can also add honey to your taste.
22. essential oil of bergamot
- Take 4-5 drops of essential oil of bergamot on the palm of your hand and gently massage on the stomach. This will help you relief from abdominal discomfort.
- Bring 1 cup water to boil. Add 1 teaspoon of dried black tea leaves in it. Let stand for 4-5 minutes. Now, add 1-2 drops of essential oil of bergamot and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Now add the honey and consume it.
Triphala is useful in the treatment of problems related to the digestive system.
- A 1/2 cup of warm water, add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of triphala.
- Stir well and consume it before going to bed.
Turmeric can cure most of the problems related to the digestive system. It also helps to release the trapped gas. You can add it to dishes. Alternatively, you can follow the trial.
- For a glass of warm water, add 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- Let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Consummating slowly.
25. smoothie to treat swelling
- In a blender, add 1/2 cup of ice cubes, 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup, 1 cup of each of the pieces of pineapple and strawberries, 1/2 cup chamomile tea or dandelion root and 1/2 cup of yogurt vanilla with active cultures.
- Whisk the ingredients, pour into a glass and consume it.
26. Herbal Tea
If you suffer from premenstrual bloating then drinking herbal tea to get relief.
- For hot water, add 1 teaspoon of yellow dock tea, burdock, dandelion root (or leaf), lemon balm and chamomile.
Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Strain and keep the liquid in an airtight container.
Once it cools, add the turbinado sugar or honey in it.
- Consume 1-3 cups of tea every day at least two weeks prior to menstruation.
- If you use fresh herbs instead of dried ones, triple the amount of herbs.
- Never boil the herbs. Remove the water from the fire, before adding the herbs.
- Avoid adding sugar in this infusion of herbs as you can increase the symptoms of PMS.
27. betel leaf
betel leaf improves digestion by promoting the production of digestive juices. It also helps to remove intestinal gas.
- Insert a clove in the betel leaf and fold it.
- Chew slowly to extract the juice and swallow it.
- Repeat after each meal.
- If you do not have clove, then you can only eat betel leaf by itself.
28. dill seeds
- Crush dill seeds and store them in an airtight container.
- Add 1 teaspoon of chopped dill seeds in a cup of water.
- Prepare this mixture for a few minutes.
- Sip slowly the solution to get relief from the trapped gas.
- Pregnant women should avoid the use of dill seeds as it can lead to uterine contractions and miscarriages.
- If you are allergic to dill seeds then consult a doctor before trying this remedy.
Massage your stomach and lower abdomen helps the gas built to pass through your digestive system to relieve the pressure of the swelling.
- Lie flat on your back and use your fingers to massage your stomach in a circular motion (clockwise).
- Massage for 15 minutes or until the swelling disappears.
- Note: you can do this standing, but do not do it in a sitting position like this shut-off gas in the digestive tract.
30. Diet Plan
It is very important to monitor your food intake to avoid bloating and gas problems.
- Foods rich in magnesium reduce fluid retention. Eat plenty of nuts and green leafy vegetables.
- Potassium helps regulate the levels of body fluid. Eat a lot of bananas, mangoes, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- The probiotics keep the digestive system healthy. Regularly eating foods such as yogurt, kefir, kimchi or sauerkraut will make sure that you get a lot of them in your diet. They help keep bowel movements correctly. Bowels help to get rid of waste quickly presenting the build up of smelling gas and stools.
- Yellow mustard also helps in the gas treatment problem. Buy mustard yellow that contains turmeric for effective results. Store in the refrigerator for storage. Take a teaspoon of it every time you suffer from gas.
- Cardamom is also useful for the treatment of gas. Chew some cardamom seeds or ginger tea and add them to consume.
- Parsley, if dried or ground, helps in the elimination of intestinal gas, which otherwise causes swelling.
- The slippery elm bark, said to be, good for the stomach related ailments. slippery elm tea also works as a defense against swelling.
- If the stomach of your little upset because of bloating, gripe water is the best natural cure. Because it consists of chamomile, ginger and fennel, it gives immediate relief.
- Green tea works wonders in the reduction of swelling. Since it is rich in antioxidants, detoxifies the body naturally
- Foods that produce minimal gas and are safe to eat citrus fruits, grapes, rice, eggs, meat and non-carbonated beverages.
- Chew basil and add it to the cooking also helps prevent flatulence.
- black pepper and cayenne pepper helps to provide relief from bloating and abdominal cramps. Can black pepper or cayenne pepper in tea or sprinkle your food. You can also cayenne pepper lemon juice and drink it for relief.
- A mixture of marshmallow and pepsin also helps relieve digestive problems including flatulence, bloating, stomach pain and intestinal inflammations. It also helps digestion and helps regulate digestion.
Foods to avoid:
- Avoid fast food, processed foods, foods that contain too much fiber and other foods that are fatty, spicy, sugary, fried or salty.
- Peaches, plums, oats, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, apples, lentils, cabbage, corn, cheese, beans, soy beans, onions, pears, lettuce and whole grains cause bloating and gas. Try to avoid them.
- Avoid dairy products, especially if you are intolerant to milk and dairy products. Even if you are intolerant, sometimes milk can cause gas and bloating up generation.
- Avoid caffeine-containing foods and edible must contend.
Tips to Prevent Gas and bloating:
1. Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and impurities that cause swelling. Focus more on drinking between meals and during meals.
2. Taking breathing provides immediate relief from swelling. When you’re anxious or stressed, respiratory rate increased makes us swallow air. So taking deep breathing will reduce the gas in a few minutes. Whenever you are inflated, 5-10 deep breaths and wait 10 minutes. You will see the result.
3. The exercise helps maintain mobility of the digestive tract and releases the gas up generation. During training make sure to breathe through the nose and prevent breathing through the mouth.
4. The exercise of Upside Down Bike helps to quickly expel the gas. Lie on your back, use your hands to support yourself up with legs in the air. Now you can move your legs moving bicycle. Hold that position for 5-10 minutes and relax. This should eject the built gas.
5. Eat slowly and chew thoroughly to avoid swallowing air.
6. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day.
7. Reduce stress through physical activity like yoga.
8. Stop smoking.
9. Avoid salt as it promotes water retention.
10. Eat less carbohydrates and starches. These also encourage water retention.
11. Do not use straws or chew gum. Both of these lead to the air consumption.
12. Do not talk while chewing.
13. While uncomfortable, swelling is generally harmless. However, if your condition is chronic, consult your doctor.
14. Chew your food well as it helps to digest it faster and will pass easily through the intestines. This helps prevent the generation of gas up. Instead of eating three large meals, eat 6 small meals a day.
15. Try taking the stairs instead of elevators.
16. If you feel comfortable around your waist band after a meal, then take a walk for 10 minutes. It helps air to pass through the digestive tract.
17. After dinner, avoid sleeping immediately as it can lead to gas in the chest and swelling. Take a walk for some time before bed.
Have you tried any of these home remedies for swelling? Do you know of any that we have not mentioned? Share your experience with us!